Do you spend hours sifting through volunteer applications? Or spend time screening a volunteer only to find out they don’t meet your basic requirements?
We get it. That’s why we created Question Manager, a VolunteerMatch Member tool. With Question Manager, you can easily filter through volunteer applicants, cut the time you spend screening volunteers, and minimize the number of steps it takes to go from prospect to volunteer.
And today, we launched a new version of Question Manager, to make it even easier to quickly find the best volunteers for your cause.
Here’s how it works: with Question Manager, automatically send custom questions to prospective volunteers the minute they express interest in a volunteer opportunity. You can choose from five types of questions that suit your specific needs: menu, multiple choice (one answer), multiple choice (many answers), one line open text, and multiple lines open text.
Your questions will appear on the connection form when a volunteer clicks ‘I Want to Help!’ on your opportunity.
After a volunteer expresses interest in your volunteer opportunity, their responses get automatically delivered to your inbox (or the inbox of any admin who’s on file).
You can also view the prospective volunteers’ responses in your “View All Connections” report; export response data, share it with colleagues, and identify trends in your volunteer prescreening habits.
The custom questions can be added to any of your VolunteerMatch volunteer opportunities, saving you large amounts of time by minimizing email back-and-forth. They allow you to filter through potential volunteers to find the best fit. And if a volunteer isn’t a good fit, don’t leave them hanging — let them know!
Being a national network, we support more than 120,000 nonprofits across the country. That gives us plenty of data to help you make better-informed decisions. So we pulled a sample of our most frequently asked accessibility, behavioral, and informational-related volunteer screening questions via Question Manager.
We bet you’ll find one or more of these useful.
- A driver’s license is not required, but can be helpful. Are you a licensed driver?
- This volunteer opportunity is virtual, meaning everything is done online. Are you willing to volunteer from home?
- Why are you inspired to volunteer?
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- Why are you interested in this opportunity?
- Please describe your work ethic in a few words.
- What are you hoping to gain from your volunteer experience?
- What have you enjoyed most from previous volunteer assignments?
- Have you volunteered for our organization before? If so, when?
- How many hours per week can you commit to volunteer?
- What’s the best phone number to reach you?
- In what languages are you able to converse?
- Can you pass a criminal background check?
- What skills can you bring to this role?
- Are you 18 years or older?
- Are you 50 years or older?
- How soon can you start?
- What’s your t-shirt size?
By this point, you probably have an arsenal of questions you’re eager to implement. But if you’re still on the fence about the benefits of Question Manager, read what Eishin Chikamatsu of Forests Forever has to say:
“These [member] features simplify tedious tasks such as editing and updating posts, which is a huge time saver! I especially appreciate the Question Manager feature because it helps me find the perfect fit as well as better accommodate potential volunteers.
The quality of applicants has dramatically improved now that prescreening is so much easier; previously I had to relay emails and conduct phone screens and in-person interviews to find out a sizable portion of candidates didn’t meet some of our basic requirements. Now I can spend more time with passionate volunteers who are both interested and ready for the opportunities we offer.”
Whether you’re just starting out or you’re an avid volunteer manager, prescreening volunteers with custom questions can make a world of difference. Learn more about how Question Manager works, and begin reaping the benefits of a VolunteerMatch Membership today.