One of the benefits of listing your organization and volunteer opportunities on VolunteerMatch is the search engine optimization. When people search for your organization on Google or another search engine, your VolunteerMatch account is likely to pop up close to the top of the search results.
That means that even if you don’t have any active volunteer opportunities listed, it’s likely that people will still see your VolunteerMatch profile and whatever information you (or a previous member of your organization) posted there. Your profile can also be found through our organization search page, and the opportunity search if you do have active listings. Thousands of volunteers visit our site each week, so people are looking!
This is free exposure for your organization and mission; take full advantage of it by keeping your information current and compelling. Spend just a few minutes reviewing your account to avoid looking outdated, or worse, out of business! A concise, informative, and grammatically correct profile can make all the difference in helping paint the picture of a legitimate, well-organized operation. Take a look at ours for inspiration!
Here are some elements to make sure you have in your profile:
- Clear mission statement – If you don’t have one, use this space to share your goals, and what your organization or group aims to achieve.
- Concise, informative description of your organization and the services or events you provide. What do you do? How do you do it?
- Current contact person and contact information.
- Link to your website, if you have one.
- Interest areas/categories (e.g. Hunger, Education & Literacy, Animals).
- A fun, engaging photo.
- Reviews! You can ask any current or previous volunteers to write a review of their experiences volunteering for your organization. This really helps the profile stand out.
To edit your organization’s information, follow these steps:
- Log into your account at www.volunteermatch.org/post/login.jsp and access your organization dashboard.
- Under ‘Manage Organization’ in your side menu, click ‘Edit Organization Profile.’ This form allows you to edit your organization’s information including name, address, phone, fax, website URL, mission, description, contact title and name, and categories.
- Edit the desired information and click on ‘Continue’ at the bottom of the page – this will save your changes!
To add a photo to your organization profile, follow these steps:
- Under ‘Manage Organization’ in your side menu, click ‘Photo Manager’ – this is where you can upload up to 5 photos for your account to use on your profile and listings (or 20 photos if you’re a Community Leader!)
- On the bottom right of the next page, click ‘Select an organization photo’.
- Add a new photo from your computer, and enter a title and caption.
- Click ‘Save’!
Cleaning up this corner of your web presence can help you make a good impression on potential volunteers and supporters. It will only take you a few minutes, and a lot of people will see it! So get started right now!