In our 5 Steps to Building a Successful Employee Volunteer Program download, we said that it’s important to track and report the volunteer activity taking place in your company.
Seeing results helps keep your employees engaged with and excited about your employee volunteer program (EVP). It shows the world the generous ways your company is giving back. And it proves the impact of your program to corporate leadership.
Having a system in place to capture and report this information is a must. Some companies opt for tools like spreadsheets to manage all of this data, but spreadsheets can get messy and are labor intensive. Having an EVP management system like VolunteerMatch can take the pain out of EVP reporting AND make it easier for your employees to find volunteer opportunities. All of this means more time for you to be out in the community making a positive impact rather than sitting at your desk crunching numbers!
There are no set criteria for when you should purchase an EVP management system, but clients tell us the following issues made it essential:
- Collecting data is too difficult, takes too much time, or exceeds the tools in place.
- Volunteer activity information is being stored in multiple places making it difficult to quantify.
- Reporting is no longer timely because it takes so long to aggregate the information.
- Employees want more volunteer opportunities in their community than can be managed manually.
- Projects become very complex, requiring things like waivers, reminders and waitlists.
- The internal website cannot be easily maintained, or becomes obsolete in a short period of time.
- Volunteer managers find themselves spending all of their time just managing signups.
- Recognition is difficult, as the participant lists are often inaccurate.
If a couple of these statements sound painfully familiar, it might be time to explore EVP management tools.
Fortunately, there have been a lot of improvements to the tools and resources
that are available. We’ve put together some steps you can take to find the technology solutions that will fit your specific needs.