As families from Baton Rouge to the Bay Area make their holiday plans, VolunteerMatch reminds participants in employee volunteer programs that making a difference in the lives of others is a great way to have a meaningful Christmas.
Is your firm already working with VolunteerMatch? If so, visit your hosted VolunteerMatch portal today to see how you can be involved. Getting started is easy. Just type in your location and a few words to describe the kind of work you want to do, and you’ll be on your way to the perfect volunteer experience. And don’t forget to track your hours: Your company may have an incentive program that matches your volunteer time with a grant for the nonprofit.
One tip if you’re organizing a volunteer outing for family or friends: Be sure to use ‘Advanced Search’ to filter for opportunities that are suited to groups or children. Many organizations aren’t used to welcoming families to their volunteer programs, so the best bet is to start your search looking for one that does.
To help we’ve assembled a tongue-in-cheek look at a traditional holiday song that may inspire you to create your own new tradition this year. Click a link, get inspired, and then visit your own VolunteerMatch site to make a difference:
- 12 Drummers Drumming — The Circle’s Edge, Inc in Riverdale, MD needs rock/metal drummers to collaborate to record a CD and perform around the local area.
- 11 Pipers Piping — Albuquerque & Four Corners Pipes and Drums in Los Alamos, NM is looking for new members who love Scottish music to join its bagpipe band
- 10 Lords a Leaping — Stafford County Parks, Recreation, and Community Services in Falmouth, VA needs volunteers to help with the Leprechaun Leap One Mile Youth Trail Run.
- 9 Ladies Dancing — Galaxy Dance Studios in Austin, TX is looking for an Assistant Volunteer Coordinator to assist with the studio’s day-to-day operations.
- 8 Maids a Milking — The Norfolk Jaycees in Norfolk, VA are looking for people to take part in “operation maid raid” – collect single-use toiletries from hotels for the St Columba homeless day shelter.
- 7 Swans a Swimming — The Multiple Sclerosis Association of America in Cherry Hill, NJ is looking for people to dive into action and Swim for MS.
- 6 Geese a Laying — Carolina Waterfowl Rescue at Indian Trail, NC is looking for volunteers to assist with their geese, duck and chicken adoption scheme.
- 5 Golden Rings — The St. Aloisius Pot of Gold Day Care in Harvey, ND are looking for volunteers to work with children on a one-to-one basis.
- 4 Calling Birds — The Birds of Prey Foundation in Louisville, CO is looking for volunteers to work in its thrift store organizing donations, staging the store and working with shoppers.
- 3 French Hens — Visiting Nurse Service of New York/Queens needs French Creole translators to assist with translating activities for the elderly.
- 2 Turtle Doves — City of Irvine is looking for volunteers to maintain the nature trail at the Turtle Rock Nature Center in Irvine, CA.
And a Partridge in a Pear Tree — Long Branch Environmental Education Center in Leicester, NC is looking for volunteers to help grow apples, plums, peaches and pears, and learn about organic orcharding and edible landscaping.
Companies can learn about VolunteerMatch’s solutions for employee volunteer programs, campuses, government, and brands at:
(Photo: Children painting pots at the Volunteers of America’s after-school program. Courtesy Volunteers of America of Greater Ohio/VolunteerMatch)