Lately there’s been a lot of controversy about unpaid interns – lawsuits, rule-changes, scary new decisions being made…but what does it all actually mean for nonprofits?
Which rules apply to us, and which don’t? What’s the difference between a volunteer and an unpaid intern? How do stipends play into all this? Where can we go to get the answers to our questions? Ahhhh!
Have no fear, here’s a round-up of resources about unpaid interns and nonprofits, in reverse chronological order:
- The Sparking Controversy about Volunteer Internships | e-Volunteerism Journal
- Volunteer Stipends, Interns, and Employee Volunteers: Some Important Things to Know | Tobi’s Nonprofit Management Blog
- Unpaid-Intern Lawsuits Explained | Bloomberg Businessweek
- How the Black Swan Decision Can and Should Affect Nonprofits | Holly L. Derr
- A Court Rules on Unpaid Interns | Nonprofit Quarterly
- When Does Internship Become Labor Exploitation? | TriplePundit
- The Fair Labor Standards Act | U.S. Department of Labor
- Internship Programs Under the Fair Labor Standards Act | U.S. Department of Labor
Please share your comments and other valuable resources about nonprofits and interns in the comments below!