#GivingTuesday(yes, the hashtag is officially part of the name) began with a simple question: We have a day for giving thanks. We have two for getting deals….Wouldn’t it be great to have a day for giving back?
Then partners came together and a new day of giving was born. On the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, instead of continuing the consumer mania begun on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, let’s take a breath and focus on what really matters – coming together to strengthen our communities.
#GivingTuesday and Nonprofits
#GivingTuesday is an opportunity to involve your volunteers and supporters in a new way. Get them to spread the word about the day, about your organization and the opportunities to help out. With the added attention from the media, it will be easy to grow your community.
Here are some ideas for how you can spread the word to your supporters:
- Use media and graphics like this one and post them on your website, your Facebook pages and your blogs.
- Post volunteer opportunities to VolunteerMatch with a “#GivingTuesday” tag for volunteers to find (and so we can share them!)
- Use the #GivingTuesday hashtag on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to join the conversation.
- Send an email asking your volunteers to tell their friends and family about this day to give back.
- Here are some examples of what other nonprofits are doing.
This idea falls in the sweet spot for VolunteerMatch, and we think volunteering is the perfect addition to the #GivingTuesday conversation.
We see #GivingTuesday as a burgeoning movement, as a shift in mindset – but we know that if enough community members adopt it, it could become a way of life. So we’re calling on everyone to start it all on November 27, 2012, the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, by pledging to Give Time on #GivingTuesday.
Does your organization have plans to engage supporters on #GivingTuesday? Tell us about it below!