Has it been a year already since the historic 2009 MLK Day of Service? Yup! And 2010 promises to be a formidable follow-up, with mainstream media, national nonprofits, business leaders, and federal and local government all pitching in to raise awareness about how volunteers can make January 18 a “day on” and not a day off.
To help make it a monumental day for your organization’s volunteer program, too, the folks at the Corporation for National and Community Service have put together a one-stop shop for your MLK Day planning needs, taking into consideration the importance of the day while understanding that you can’t drop everything while pulling together this once-a-year event.
By clicking on the Resources for Organizations tab, you’ll find tons of ideas for MLK-related service projects, fundraising toolkits and step-by-step guides that navigate you through the day, with solid advice that might get you through the rest of the year as well.
Topics addressed include:
- Choosing project sites
- Selecting and training team leaders
- How to prepare and what to do in case of an accident
- Managing registration and kick-off presentations
- Organizing transportation
- Distribution of supplies
- Dealing with the media
- Aftermath: Cleaning and thank-yous
The site also offers practical templates and lists including:
- Sample schedules for the day
- Tips for documenting the day, with specific photo tips
- Sample volunteer evaluation forms
- A press release and media advisory template for added exposure of your event
- Marketing materials including posters, flyers and ads
- Button, T-shirt and banner order forms
Visit MLKday.gov for more information.
The Biggest Way for Your Organization to Participate?
Ok, all this great stuff aside, posting your opportunities at VolunteerMatch.org and making sure they have some MLK-related keywords in them is still the #1 most important thing you can do to make the MLK Day a success. That’s because as we do every year, VolunteerMatch works with our network partners including Serve.gov, Allforgood.org and hundreds of our Web sites to make sure your listings get in front of inspired volunteers.
What are you waiting for? Update your account today.